Thursday, July 03, 2008

Heaven!



I've had gorgeous food in Greece before (and my mouth is already watering with the promise of a trip next week to my favourite restaurants in Argolida) but since coming on Sunday I've been lucky enough to have two little foodie moments. The first was on my first night, when my glamorous hostess cracked open a nice bottle of wine and served olives stuffed with almonds. Sounds weird, I know, but they are delicious! Next morning she also produced some fabulous coffee accompanied by little cinnamon-flavoured biscuits - a very winning way to start the day.... Today it was some caramel vanilla tea, which is also nicer than it sounds.

But the piece de resistance goes to the dessert we had yesterday in a little organic cafe near Panepistimiou metro station in the centre of Athens. It was a bowl of light mascarpone cheese, with chocolate chips and strawberries lightly marinaded in balsamic vinegar. This is, I am quite sure, what God has for dessert on his birthday. (And you can bet your ass I'll be using the excuse of mine to head back there in 2 weeks for a second helping!)

2 comments:

leila marie said...

I am jealous cause I am soo hungry and my naked lollipopped man servant has gone home for the day!

FirstPersonArts said...

Hi,
Your blog came up on my morning google alert for folks interested in memoir writing, and I thought you might like First Person Arts’ Impressions competition running through August 15th. It includes a competition for short documentary films (under 5 minutes) and documentary photo essays (5 images or fewer), but the memoir competition calls for 1500 words. Check out the competition website here: http://impressions.firstpersonarts.org and find out more about First Person Arts, a Philadelphia non-profit dedicated to memoir and documentary art, at http://www.firstpersonarts.org

We’ve got some excellent judges, and the winning entries will get some very nice exposure, not to mention a little cash. It would be great if you could post about this on your blog and/or pass it around to your friends or writers groups. If you send me a note, I’ll happily forward you a flyer. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks,

Andrew
aschwalm@firstpersonarts.org