Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Let's Japanese Film!

As part of my maniacal research for my books, I have been watching a crazy variety of Japanese movies in the past few weeks.

I dunno if they've helped my writing at all, but some of them are totally worth checking out;

Taki no Shiraito
Tokyo March
Kara-Kiri
Zatoichi
Gohatto
Dolls
Hana-Bi
Audition
Ran
Throne of Blood
The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail
Memoirs of a Geisha (not really Japanese at all, but pretty to look at)
Kill Bill (absolutely not Japanese, but the Tokyo O-ren Ishii bits are fun!)
Kaidan (in its day the most expensive Japanese film ever - it's still fab to look at)
The Black Lizard (I know I blogged about it already but it's sooooo much fun)

and of course, a few films by Miyazaki Hayao -
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbour Totoro (so cute!)

and maybe the most startling of all, Grave of the Fireflies, which - despite the fact that it's a cartoon, ostensibly for kids - is one of the most affecting anti-war films I've ever seen. Have the tissues handy...!

No comments: