Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday Tunes - Reynaldo Hahn













Last Friday I had the great pleasure of attending a recital by Joyce DiDonato (who is a much, much bigger deal than I realised before the performance). She sang at the Broad Stage in Santa Monica, and did a lovely programme of songs. She opened with Haydn's Scena di Berenice - and anyone who does anything about that woman will likely win my heart immediately. This was followed by a varied and lovely programme of songs and arias, with two fantastic encores - Somewhere Over the Rainbow for her dad, and Pace Non Trovo - for peace and for Egypt - from La Donna del Lago.

For me the most beautiful piece of the evening was her rendition of five of the songs from Reynaldo Hahn's 'Venezia' suite. He wrote them for a wealthy patroness from that great city, and in particular her work on 'La Barcheta' was just ravishingly beautiful.

I hadn't ever looked Hahn up before Friday night, which is a pity, because he's really fascinating. He was a Venezuelan who lived in Paris, a child prodigy, beautiful setter of songs, and onetime lover of Marcel Proust, of all people. He's also responsible for 'L'Heure Exquise', one of my very favourite chansons. Here's a video of Philippe Jaroussky having a go at it. I hope you like it as much as I do.




No comments: