Friday, November 11, 2005

See Saw Marjorie Dawes...

I saw Saw II yesterday. I really don't like horror films - it's official. The violence in that move is so clever and so relentless it's very upsetting. The conceits of it are all fascinating - human instinct and so on - but really, I don't need to watch that for entertainment...

Afterwards I went and finally got a digital camera. It's just lovely. Pictures will follow.

Thursday's bus trip to the base of mount Fuji (a lovely little town called Kawaguchiko that was stunningly beautiful in all its autumnal glory) was terrific. Nicky, Angela and I convened far too early in the morning, got the bus (and giggled all the way there at snoring fellow passengers at whom we wanted to throw peanuts, while we listened to Nicky's iPod...) and eventually arrived at the museum.

The reason we went on Thursday was so that we could catch the special performance that was scheduled. It's basically a little Japanese dance, conceived to showcase some of the kimono from the museum. We were expecting Noh or something, but NO. Instead we got hilariously tacky Japaneseque "dance". Lips were bitten. Surreptitious tears were spilled. And Nicky got bitch-slapped by a nasty old Japanese man for taking photos. (As soon as I get my hands on them I'll post them here...) I should say that I'll be dragging anyone who gets anywhere near Tokyo to this museum. The kimono are just awesome, and the setting is extremely beautiful.

Back in Tokyo, I saw my first real Noh performance at the Kanze school, where my friend Midori's brother Takanobu was making his debut. Whew. Heavy stuff. I take solace from the fact that some friends I met there (the directors of Company Izuru, a theatre group I'm kinda sorta involved with ish) understood about as much as I did.

Today is fun things like laundry and grocery shopping. But with very cool music, obviously.

No comments: