Friday, March 24, 2006

Dance! Get On Your Feet!

Tuesday was the best day I've had in months. Despite being a little cagey about it, I agreed to meet Jack and Alfred and go and enjoy plum blossoms for the afternoon, weather permitting. I met the boys (with Takuma and Takeshi, a new face, in tow) and we headed out on the Keio line to I-forget-where. Spirits were high and the weather was pleasant. Off the train we clambered up a whole lot of hill to get to the lovely garden (photos to follow) choc-full of plums in various delicate stages of beautifully coloured blossom. Yours truly had been a little late, so alas we missed almost all of the local municipal grass-blade orchestra performance (aka old women blowing on grass in a vain attempt to make communal music) but this was a grief easily borne.

We lunched on posh bagels and pittas courtesy of Jack, and had fun people watching before clambering around the whole of the park and seeing a pretty spectacular view of Tokyo. This all took about an hour, after which it was still way to early to go home so we went back into Shinjuku with the intention of seeing a movie. Alas, our five differing agendas and temperaments ensured that we couldn't pick anything to watch, so we went for a coffee, before finally deciding to go for dinner at a place Alfred new that purveyed Nagoya gay chicken wings. Imagine chicken wings prepared with masses of aromat and salt. Delicious!! (Don't yet know what made them gay, mind you...) Dinner was really nice, with soup, and sweet-miso kebabs, and the wings (galore), swilled down with plum liquor (for the day that was in it!).

Of course, now quite well-sauced, we were in no mood to go home, so instead we headed for Sin City for some dancing. And a whole lot of sinning. The club wasn't particularly crowded and the DJ was sufficiently impressionable that we got our way all night. Which was fun! As were the soldiers who were enjoying their national holiday (perhaps we were the entertainment!!). I doubt I have ever been so drunk. I had about a pint of vodka, without as much cranberry as I shoulda had with it. But who cares?? It was hilarious. Top tracks of the night are below...

On our way out, we all pulled, too.

Then Wednesday was clearly spent recovering... In the evening I met Nicky for dinner (in truly foul rain) at Good Honest Grub. I am loathe to sing the praises of this wonderful place, but it's not like I'm A.A. Gill, so I'm sure that a glowing mention here will ruin the place at all. We LOVE it. Nicky and I were the only customers when we got there, so we were treated like royalty and given free booze and all manner of niceties. Not least of which is their moderately priced and always delicious food. Or indeed their fun cocktails - eg Love Bubbles (created for Valentine's Day, with champagne, amaretto and a strawberry) or Green Margaritas (regular Ms with lots of Melon - my poison of choice the other night...). On the way home, in the dreadful rain, I happened across M's TRUE BLUE album on the joyPod. This album is so summery and fun, it almost made me forget the rain!!

Thursday I was back in Saitama, and in the evening got a call from home - finally the Columbia communication arrived, and, alas, I have not been accepted. Boo hoo, next business...

Tonight I am going to a fashion show in Harajuku as part of Tokyo Fashion Week. Since I had nothing exciting to wear, I dyed my hair.



Kinda red!!

More news will follow if/when it happens...

The Soldiers' Night Playlist:
Love at First Sight - Kylie
Erotica - Madonna
1, 2 Step - Ciara (* why why why is this pronounced Sierra...??)
Hung Up (SDP Remix) - Madonna
All Nite (Don't Stop) - Janet
Filthy Gorgeous - Scissor Sisters
Vogue - Madonna
Sorry (PSB Maxi Mix) - Madonna
Believe - Cher
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Cher
Butterfly - Kylie
Jump - Madonna
Outrageous (Junkie XL Mix) - Britnah
Just A Little While (Remix) - Janet
These Boots Are Made for Walking - Jessica Simpson

2 comments:

jlp said...

Damn it! Come back to NYC anyway! It was great having you here. I'm curious to find out who did make it into the program now. And I'm glad you found out after days of bacchanalia. Anyway, it doesn't matter. You're so fabulous that this doesn't make me worry for you at all.

Conor said...

People who I know made it - lovely Matt who went to Trinity with me, Henning from Norway, Andrea from England, and Pirronne from Chicago. And A.N.Other from our group, and the mysterious person who'd applied before or something.

Go figure.

You're so lovely to say such nice things... :)