Saturday, March 25, 2006

Get on to Joan Collins, tell her there's free Champagne...

Of course, on Friday evening after work when I tried to do the hair poshly for the fashion show, nothing was working, so I had to do my best Madonna Erotica impression and slick it down like a (very very very red) helmet. What's a boy to do... Jack and I had Mexican and margaritas before sashaying to Sendagaya to the grounds of the Meiji Portrait Gallery (I think?) where Fashion Week had set up camp. After the Taishi Nobukuni (www.tashi-nobukuni.co.jp) show, which was very cool, we decided to stay for the DressCamp (www.dresscamp.org) show, which was tons of fun. The music was excellent, although the show was a bit tawdry since it was the very last show of the week and the models looked bored, tired, and occasionally downright hostile - perhaps due to the clothes they were wearing. The collection was rather inspired by vintage Versace, with print hints of Pucci and D&G. Alas, while this might sound like a good thing, it wasn't entirely. Certainly it was a fun, outrageous event, complete with a veritable menagerie of dead animals and stuffed-toy-worthy furs draped over emaciated models, but I won't be rushing out to buy DC. Well - maybe their boots, some of which were amazing.

Thereafter J and I went for (more) drinks, and met up with our new friends from Tuesday night - no, not the soldiers, but Mako, Takeshi et al., aka the fashionistas. The Baileys was flowing, and before I realised, it was 3am and we were piling into a taxi, polluted (again! am I starting to have a problem?!), heading back to Mako's place.

Saturday was a gorgeous day, and - when not in bed "recovering" I managed to fit in a walk around Soshigaya to enjoy the blossoming cherries (nearly there - next week will be gorgeous) and re-discover Kylie's "Impossible Princess" album. Anyone reading this should instantly go and listen to "Breathe" and "Limbo". I mean it, right now. "Some Kind of Bliss" while you're at it.

After writing the introductory (rather silly) chapter to the book, I met Mako and his hag Ayumi (1st Japanese hag! woohoo!) for dinner in Shimokitazawa. We had simple izakaya food and beer while Ayu-chan told stories of her trip to Florida and we discussed the grammar of various languages and how to be rude in all of them. No prizes for guessing who won that game!

On the way home this morning I realised I'm a total sellout and I love it. I love me my Starbucks White Mocha, and I absolutely adore my iPod. Yes, I have been completely hoodwinked by agressive marketing. BUT with these two white-encased joys in hand, on a sunny day as the millions of cherry flowers pop open and the sun comes out from behind a cloud at the perfect moment in a song I've rediscovered, I can't help feeling it's good to be alive.

Bleurgh - I just re-read that last sentence, and BAM my hangover hit. Pass me a sick-bag...

2 comments:

jlp said...

Hey, sweets. You probably already know about this site, but I thought of you when I saw it, since you like song mixes.
http://www.cropstar.co.uk/

I'm adding some of these to my running playlist.

Conor said...

Thank you for that!! It's really cool, and I hadn't seen it!

You might also like djearworm.com - part of the fun is trying to spot all the different samples he weaves together...