Friday, January 07, 2011

30 Before 30 #3 - Soda





I went to see a play at the end of the summer holidays last year and spent the entire first half craving a Diet Coke. I felt like Elaine Stritch having an attack. (But without the vodka stingers and the lifetime of Sondheim and hooch.) Having ascertained that I wasn't diabetic, and having sated myself with a 7 Up during the intermission of the play, I spent the second half still craving more soda. After the show I had dinner with some great people, and probably drank enough Diet Coke to fill a hip-bath. And this was at DENNYS. Shame squared.

The following day, feeling unwell after so much carbonated sugar, I pronounced (to myself) that I was going to go cold turkey. Mainly just to see if I could. Boy has it been rough. It's only when you stop acquiescing to the constantly-available nectars that you realise just how omni-present they are. Coca Cola advertising becomes immediately more visible and distasteful when you stop drinking it. (Despite REALLY wanting to.)

I had heard many years ago that Sprite is officially 30% sugar - I suppose it's no wonder that it was my favourite drink, for which I was notorious in Greece. My friends there were ashamed that I would order it, nearly every night. It's still delicious, I'm sure - it'd want to be - but I'm done with it. When I turned 29 last summer I toyed with the idea of stopping drinking sugary sodas at some point in the future - but now that it is fully a quarter of a year since I touched a drop of it, at all, I am happy to put it out there as another of the 30 Before 30 achieved. I do not drink soda any more.

No comments: