Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Foodie Friday - Cafe Leon




Sometime early in 2007 I was introduced to Cafe Léon in Dublin by an inveterate tea-drinker, and fell instantly in love. Seemingly overnight, there were three of them- all within spitting distance of each other between Exchequer Street and Dame Lane. Their tea was good (in those posh silken teabags) and every hot drink came to your table accompanied by a little pyramid of Toblerone. Who wouldn't love that?

Of course, their largest venue also had a proper dinner menu (along with a sinfully indulgent array of pastries and cakes) - and was wonderful. Their croques, salads and particularly their Boeuf Bourgignon still make my mouth water.

Sadly, this yuppie heaven was a true bubble of fat as the Celtic tiger cooked in its own grease- by 2008 it was always jammed with the kind of people one originally went there to avoid, and the last time I was home in Dublin they were all gone. Mais à ne pas oublier!


1 comment:

aravilo said...

I've been in dublin in the summer of 2007 and I also fell in love with this cafe. I loved their delicious mocachinos and muffins. Even today from Spain I miss him