Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Movie Monday - Babette's Feast












I had seen the cover of Babette's Feast for many years in the World Cinema section of HMV in Grafton Street (which I am terrified will close soon) but it was only at the insistence of one of my directing professors at UCLA that I finally found time to see it.

It's a strange, dark, magical little film - about a maid who cooks the most impossibly extravagant dinner imaginable for the village she lives in. Of course the philosophical perspective of the piece is a discussion of how the artist sacrifices everything for their work, and how everything is sublimated in deference to the moment of presentation. I found it extremely profound, and the ideas it stimulates resonated very long after I saw it.

Oh, and it won the Best Foreign Film Oscar. So you know it's good! ;)


No comments: