Tuesday, March 29, 2011

30 Mad Thursdays - Tutankhamun













First of all, Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Now, a confession. I have been utterly obsessed with ancient Egypt since I was in Miss Caffrey's 2nd class and had to do a project on the pyramids. I was mad about it all - am still fascinated, admittedly, but so many other great things have captivated my impressionable imagination in the last 22 years that the ancients have had to move to the back of the mental filing cabinet!

Over dinner in Santa Monica recently, Orla mentioned that a big Tutankhamun exhibition was coming to Dublin, and I suggested that we should go - despite the fact that everything in it is a fake. Well, meticulous reconstruction is probably more approrpriate - you wouldn't believe how good these 'fakes' are!

My mother trekked across to London in 1972 when King Tut's treasure trove toured the world in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of its being discovered, and she was always very indulgent of my fascination with Egypt. So, it was quite bittersweet to 'see' them all - certainly as close-up as I will for a good while before they are viewable again in Cairo - without her.

And no, I didn't buy any tat while I was there. I sold more than a lifetime's worth of King Tut Tat in Past Times all those years ago, TYVM.

http://www.kingtutdublin.ie/home/

No comments: