Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sunday Spices - Basil










Every time I watch a show on Food Network, I seem to see someone preparing a 'chiffonade' of (ie poshly-chopped) basil. It's the 2011 must-have, or must-do in the kitchen.

Basil is a great herb, though, and good and strong - really makes its presence felt! I like that - so often you include something and it doesn't quite have an impact. Take parsley, for instance. Can you actually tell what parsley tastes like? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Thanks to the lovely new blender/chopper thing my aunt and uncle got me for Christmas, I've been making all kinds of sauces and soups in recent months. The most recent success was a really delicious pesto, which came out extremely beautifully. (Pesto = basil, pine-nuts, a bit of cheese and some olive oil. Easy!) I made a variety of little treats with it, but my favourite was the roasted chicken breast, stuffed with pesto and cream-cheese and wrapped in bacon. Sound too good to be true?! Actually, if you cook it right, all the fat drains out and it is a rather guilt-free but flavour-filled triumph. Have a go!

Basil is also making its way into cocktails and mix-drinks at the moment. More to follow ;)

No comments: