Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sunday Spices - Masticha










Masticha is a Greek herb/spice/flavour. It's most often used to make liqueur, but also features heavily as a flavour of chewing gum and in ice-cream. It's almost impossible to describe, but for me it is the ne-plus-ultra of summer flavours! (Probably because it's just about the only one that one CANNOT get outside of Greece. It's invariably grown on the island of Chios - hence it being known as Μαστίχα Χίου)

I was reminded of it yesterday while I was on the plane - an elderly woman flying to Chicago was chewing on it. I would have asked her for some, but for the fact that I actually saw her empty the entire yellow packet of gum into her bejowelled gob and munch on them all the way through the flight.

Thank god for the noise-cancelling headphones...!

No comments: