Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Foodie Friday - UNAGI!










Monica took me to a sushi restaurant in the Valley some time ago, called Katsyua - it is her favourite place. We all tend to be a little wary of such things, thinking "Oh yeah, sure, your favourite will be just fine for you, but it can't compare to MY favourite..." and so on. Monica WINS. Hands down.

It's a nice small place, you'd never notice it if you weren't looking for it, and the interior is bright. The staff are actually Japanese (don't ask me why, but it's a big deal for me at a Japanese restaurant!) and the green tea comes fast.

I put myself completely in Monica's hands, and she insisted I try some eel and the house specialty, something called rock shrimp. This shrimp comes in a big pile on a plate, slathered in a tomatoey-mayonnaisey-secret sauce. Incredibly good.

BUT the revelation of the night - and what I have happily taken with me for life! - was her insistence on the unagi. I have seen a variety of eels - both electric and not - in my life, and I think they have the lot of being among the most hideous-looking creatures in creation. Needless to say, I had little desire to eat them. I was wrong - clearly their ugliness is compensated in their deliciousness.

I've had unagi nearly every time I've eaten sushi since. (It's cooked - this helps.)

At a rather dingy Japanese restaurant this week I was served a horrifically badly-proportioned order of it, and the eel flesh was cut in such a way that I could see the texture of its insides and even the curvature of the dead animal's body. I honestly thought I would gag on it. But I managed - and it didn't taste bad at all. (Note to US American sushi-preparers - less is more. No, really. Small portions = delicate, appealing, appropriate and better. Thank you.)


No comments: