Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday Tunes - Ludovico Einaudi
















I've been a fan of Ludovico Einaudi ever since his 'Le Onde' made it into the Classic FM Hall of Fame list in 1999. I was in London with my Dad to be interviewed for UCL's Classics programme - with a very nice Professor called Rhiannon Ash - and then we went exploring around Picadilly and Shaftesbury Avenue. I got a copy of Classic FM magazine, and spent most of the next five years getting my hands on - and getting to know - the 300 pieces of music listed as 'The Most Popular' - and have followed the listings relatively faithfully ever since.


Einaudi's piano music is deceptively simple (as I learned when I tried to play it) - and the cd is practically worn out from the number of times I listened to it. My mum loved it too -particularly the track below - and indeed it also got a lot of airplay on cold winter Sunday afternoons in Dublinia, since we could justify it as appropriate given that many of the melodies Einaudi employs are based on medieval themes and melodies. At least, that's what I told everyone. 'Canzone Popolare' cannot be anything but that, surely. Ludovico Einaudi, Burdock's Fish and Chips. The rare auld times!


I've collected several other albums by L.E. over the years since, but Le Onde remains my favourite. Isn't that always the case?




No comments: