Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday Tunes - CHER!









That's right.

I saw Cher's Las Vegas show last weekend. I am hoping that it was only a technical hitch that prevented the newly-inserted Burlesque video montage from being inserted (and on the eve of La Stupenda winning a Golden Globe for 'You Haven't Seen The Last of Me', no less!)


The show is enormously good fun, and Cher presides over the insanity like a benevolent alien with chameleonic tendencies. She sings a song - invariably sings the shit out of it - and then disappears while we watch a video montage of some aspect of her general fabulosity. She then reappears on a completely reconfigured stage, in a totally different outfit. And let's face it, that is what we come to see.


Curiously, her audience wasn't the demographic you might imagine (…) - it was mostly middle-aged, fat, mid-Western women. The wives of those men who are in Vegas to gamble. Cher herself commented on this, and hilariously referred to herself as 'the old naked bitch'. For which she has my admiration and respect!


The show was fun, the dancers were incredible (including one guy who did a full somersault FROM ONE FOOT. Twice.), the lady herself did not disappoint, but the audience were pretty unpleasant throughout. My companion and I were discussing this, and I decided that the best way to describe them was "Swine before Pearls".


Another old battle-axe off my list of People To See Live. Maybe THAT should be my 30 before 30?!

No comments: