Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sunday Spices - Cayenne Pepper










Last week I decided to buy some maple syrup (because I've nearly run out), some lemons (because I always have some fresh to hand) and some cayenne pepper (for this blog post!). The woman at the check-out till asked me if I was planning on doing something called The Master Cleanser. I had to ask her what this was. Apparently it's a diet fad whereon you starve yourself completely, subsisting only on a lemonade made from - you guessed it - maple syrup, water, and cayenne pepper. The other part of the process (which I learned online, not from the lady in Vons) is a sequence of daily salt-water enemas.


I know.


To my friend at Vons I replied that no, I was planning on making maple-fried bacon with french toast, home-made lemon bars, and some spicy roasted potatoes with the staples in my basket. I also had some yoghurt and a bar of chocolate among my groceries, but I don't even want to know what she thought I'd be making with them!!


Anyway - I haven't made the lemon bars yet, but I will - however, eager as I am to spice up my life over the course of these 50 Sundays, I figured I'd acquaint myself with cayenne, since so many Food Network chefs use it to enliven their dishes.


Since I love my roast potatoes so much (olive oil, rosemary, salt) I figured maybe it was time to mix it up a little, so the last time I made some I sprinkled just a hint of this fiery red pepper powder on them. It worked beautifully. Dunno if I'd want to be adding any MORE than I did, but certainly it was a really great flavour addition. Apparently it goes extremely well with chocolate, too. I even found this photo of a Chinese cayenne-pepper KIT KAT. Anyone want to send me one? If I get to try it, I shall keep you posted ;)

No comments: